** Obsolete, for minecraft 1.4.7 to 1.6.2 **
For current 1.6.4 - 1.7.10, please see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48jpv2RHBXw&list=PLFYVR-tqmunWjoBJydHMNdeHC6PDjh7ns
Mystcraft 0.10(.1) spotlight, introduction, and tutorial - Part 1.
What is mystcraft, how to get started, and a brief introduction to the book binder.
** Update: For Mystcraft 0.10.4+ (including the current 0.10.6), you need one new block: the "ink mixer". 5 stone in a V, with two blocks of dirt at the base, and an empty bottle in the center. You put "liquid black ink" into it (vanilla: 2 ink sacks and a water bottle) and blank paper, and out comes a link panel.
Linking books are now link panel plus leather, as a shapeless recipe.
Descriptive books need link panels as the first page.
Vanilla books can no longer be written to on the writing desk to make descriptive books.
This means that in 0.10.4 and later, vanilla books have no function in mystcraft, and admins can disable the book binder to eliminate player made ages, or disable the ink mixer to eliminate player made linking books. Both of these options make world creation, or arbitrary linking, restricted or unavailable.
End update **
This is the spotlight (about 5 minutes), and introduction (about 25 minutes). After viewing this, you should know:
- The importance of linking books.
- How to create a random age (stable or unstable)
- Why you should always carry linking books with you when you travel
- How to build the necessary blocks (writing desk and binder) to work with this mod.
- How to make linking books, and why
- That being exposed to the surface of a world can result in exposure to lighting or various potion effects
- That linking books must be carried with you for safe return home
- That even underground, mining fatigue and explosions can hamper your travels
- That spare linking books hidden safely in chests is a smart idea
- The need to hunt down Libraries, and trade with Villagers
- And, last and most importantly, the need to have paper and leather to make vanilla books to be turned into the linking books that will get you back home.
Remember, never leave home without linking books! Even if you've been to an age before. Even if you're certain that you left a linking book there already.
Additionally, as an introduction to the book binder, you should know that a descriptive book can be made by tossing pages with symbols on them into the binder, even if you don't yet know the importance of the individual symbols or how to write a meaningful phrase. That is the way of experimentation, of trying hundreds of different things with little understanding ... or reading the wiki, or watching part 2.
Part 2 coming soon.
EDIT: Sadly, part 2 has been delayed quite a bit. The writing desk "intro" topped over an hour, wasn't complete, and has been a pain; the newest version of mystcraft has even obsoleted half of it.
A series of new intros for 0.10.6 will be released at some point.